Saturday, October 17, 2015

Dissing DSD?

The subject of PCM vs DSD is huge one, but to summarize, I've havent heard compelling evidence that DSD sounds any better than high rate PCM, plus I was impressed with tracks converted from DSD to PCM.  I also have some technical background here ---- having written algorithms and simulated them to see what happens spectrally with BDM (bit density modulation, a.k.a. pulse density modulation) vs PCM.  Theoretically, there is more information in PCM.  So, if PCM isn't "broken", why fix it?  The BW issue is addressed by high sample rates, especially above 100kHz Fs.  Please, no throwing things, DSD fans!  Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of one-bit, but mostly in the world of A/D and D/A conversion "guts" (nowadays, what happens "inside the chip")....

No comments: